Summer is over! Classes are here! There is the smell of brand new syllabi and learning in the air! Transition back into the semester can be hard! Here are a few things to think about when coming off of summer break.
- Routine/Schedule: Get those planners and to-do lists out and get busy! Take a look at your week and have a plan! Schedule times for your classes, your workout, your study/tutor times, future assignment and test dates, and your sleep!! Get into a routine and back into those good habits as soon as possible!
- Goals: Look back at your last semester and set some new goals and challenges for the new semester! Do you want to raise your GPA? Change majors? Work on better study habits? Do it! Decide exactly what it is that you want to work on or improve and write down specific steps that will help you reach that goal! Put a time frame on it. Put it in your planner (if you have not done step 1, get with it!!) so that you see it each week and can consistently work towards your new goals!
- Get organized: Be ready for your classes. Get those planners (ahem…step 1) folders, pens/pencils, scantron, whatever it is that you need! Get them early! Have everything organized by the time the first week of classes are complete! Don’t wait until the middle of the semester to try and figure out where everything is or needs to go. If you don’t know how to start with organization, ASK!! Ask your tutors or your counselors! They can help you find the right organizational system for you.
- Take care of yourself: Get back into the habits of sleeping enough, eating healthy, and working out. It is so important that you take care of yourself! Stay healthy!
- Go to class and meet your professors: GO TO CLASS! This is where the learning happens! Meet with your professors. Set up a meeting time the first week of class to go over your letter of accommodations. Your professors are willing to help you out but they must know who you are and know that you are willing to put in the work. Get to know them, let them get to know you, participate, ask questions. GO TO CLASS!
The quicker that you can get back into the groove the better! You want to be sure to start off the semester on the right foot rather than scrambling at the end. Take advantage of all the wonderful resources that Tech, Student Disability Services, and the TECHniques Center have to offer! We are here for you!!
Have a fantastic fall and Wreck ‘Em!