School breaks are delightful for many reasons, getting to see family and friends, good food, sleeping in, and lots of free time. But wait. What to do with all of that free time? Netflix is great and all, but how much is too much when it comes to bingeing on your favorite TV show? Here are some other activities to keep your mind and body engaged in a healthy lifestyle when you are away from college and a regular schedule:
- Reach out to an old friend you haven’t seen in a while and meet them at a restaurant that you have wanted to try, but have never gotten around to.
- Pick up a new sport or workout activity, commit to a weekly routine and hold yourself accountable by dragging your friend along with you.
- Read a book just for fun. Reading is actually fun when it is not a textbook. If you do not usually read, pick one of your favorite movies and find out if it exists in book-form.
- Find out about fun holiday activities in your area. Grab a hot drink and drive through the neighborhoods known for their Christmas lights.
- Volunteer some of your time. It is easy to find charities around the holidays that are reaching out to the community through food or toy drives. Giving is actually better than receiving.
- Spend time with your grandma and ask her to teach you a life-skill. Learning the secret family recipe may be more valuable than what you can remember from Accounting this semester.
Whatever you decide to do with your time, use it wisely. This season is a gift. Enjoy it and seek out ways to help those around you enjoy it too!